Thursday, February 4, 2010

Blog 4 (In-class blog)

I’m not entirely sure if this counts as a focus or not, but while reflecting over my narratives, I noticed a change in the way I value writing. When I was younger, I saw writing as a greater form of expression. I wrote more about my experiences, which, in turn, helped me cope with these experiences. Now, as an adult, I value writing at an academic level. Fortunately, I can pinpoint the exact moment where writing changed for me. In my household, my parents valued education more than anything else. If something wasn’t beneficial to our education – what was the point of it? So, it makes sense that writing wasn’t (it couldn’t be) just an art. Although I’ve learned in elementary school the structure and syntax of writing, I didn’t fully understand (nor care) about its value – I just wanted to write. In my junior year of high school, writing showed its academic value to me. My English teacher and the books I read during this year changed my view of writing.

My Writing Process:
Typically, before I write anything down, I brainstorm. It doesn’t matter what I’m writing for (or for whom), I need to organize all my thoughts on a separate piece of paper before anything. From there, I write my first draft on a piece of paper (to me it’s so much easier to cross things out than to press the backspace or delete button). Writing on paper first allows me to further coordinate my ideas, before I decide to type it up. From there, I start my writing. I can spend a whole day perfecting my introduction and do the rest of my writing in about half that time. If I can’t get the perfect introduction, I won’t go any further. After I'm completely satisfied with my intro, everything else just flows. When I'm finally done, I edit and edit and edit.

No comments:

Post a Comment